Friday, July 17, 2020

21A - Reading Reflection No. 2

The book I read was Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirky.

1)      What was the general theme or argument of the book?

The book was generally about the concept of cognitive surplus. This is the idea that free time is a resource that can be used to help society at large and to examine the full potential of things. Shirky touches upon the concept of purpose not defining someone’s, or something’s, limitations, the fact that the Internet and modern media gives everyone the means to share, different motivations for group-forming and sharing things within those groups, the effect of placing monetary value on group interactions, and the determination of value by people’s goals.

2)      How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT3003?

I believe that Cognitive Surplus showed me a different way to view social capital. It outlined the ways that it can be examined and capitalized on, and I think that it opened my eyes to the fact that just because something has a predefined purpose, that does not mean that it does not have many more possibilities.

3)      If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?

An exercise I would design for this class based on Cognitive Surplus is to find a product that has a well-known, predefined functionality, and repurpose it. This could range from food to appliances. I think this exercise would promote creativity and force students to think outside the box when it comes to the products that we may already be very familiar with.

4)      What was your biggest surprise or “aha” moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?

The main “aha” moment that I had from reading this book was when Shirky gave examples of the effect of monetary value. Because it makes people in a group see each other differently, I realized that in order to derive the most prosperity and success from a group effort, the emphasis must be on a shared sense of purpose and belonging.


2 comments:

  1. I chose to comment on your post because after reading your synopsis of “Cognitive Surplus”, I kind of regret not having read this book myself. In-fact I’m going to put it on my personal reading list. It seems as though, by just reading through the book, the author, Clay Shirky, puts you in the same mindset that he preaches. I’m sure it was an interesting read, but even more interesting than that is the idea of extrapolating value beyond what was originally intended. You picked a fascinating book to cover, and great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sophia, sounds like the book has a pretty interesting premise. Though I wonder how well a book from 2011 about the internet has aged, I know the book I read - Inbound Marketing - was pretty dated in some regards. Your exercise seems like something that could fit well into this course and would relate well to the book's concepts.

    ReplyDelete

30A - Final Reflection

  I think that throughout all of the assignments this semester, the one about my own personal human capital struck me the most. This is beca...