Friday, May 22, 2020

3A - My Entrepreneurship Story

    In my junior year of high school, I went to a tech conference called eMerge Americas with a few other classmates. There, I met the founder of a startup called Abeyon that specialized in artificial intelligence solutions. After expressing my interest and eventually gaining a summer internship with them, the founder told me about a project they were working on with the Military Sealift Command, expanding on its need to shift from “reactive” maintenance on its ships to a more “prescriptive” approach. I saw how he identified the issue of much-needed visibility into the ships’ functionalities over the years. I was fortunately able to work with him on his solution and gained deeper insight into how artificial intelligence and machine learning functioned by working on a program that recognized patterns in ships’ maintenance files.

    Aside from taking a minor in entrepreneurship, I was interested in learning the skills of an entrepreneur. I am a computer science major, and I don’t know where I want to end up just yet, but I do know for certain that I want to be able to carve my own path in my career. With entrepreneurship, I can have some authority over any projects I work on, ensuring that I’ll be enjoying my career. I know that the skills I learn in this class will be of great value to me when I start to get into the tech industry.


Here's what's new at eMerge Americas – and what's been happening ...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sophia! I think that it is so cool how you were given the opportunity to see how artificial intelligence and machine learning works first hand. I also liked how you said that you want to carve your own path in your career, and that you want to enjoy it. I think that both of those goals are an essential part of entrepreneurship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sophia, I am a computer science major as well and that sounds like a really cool internship you had. I have looked a bit into learning more about machine learning but haven't committed enough time into it to get very far. It is definitely something I will continue to learn more about in the future. Computer science does seem to be a very open ended major with how many fields are depending on it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophia,
    Your entrepreneurship experience sounds so amazing! It must have been really cool to work to find a solution for a real problem that many people deal with. It sounds like the experience you gained from that internship is so valuable. I think the experience you gain from this class will really help you in whatever career path you choose to follow. Good job on this assignment!

    ReplyDelete

30A - Final Reflection

  I think that throughout all of the assignments this semester, the one about my own personal human capital struck me the most. This is beca...